Log Entry 140629.105

We followed Rosie through the hotel, skulking through the corridors like a couple of burglars, hiding behind service trolleys and around corners. When other guests appeared, we mingled, trying to look as inconspicuous as possible, but obviously failed judging by the very peculiar looks we were awarded.

Suddenly, Rosie stopped before a door: room 409. Quickly, we ducked out of sight, taking refuge behind the doorframe of a cupboard. Peering around it, we must have looked particularly silly: a small totem pole of heads: mine at the bottom and Luke's above me.

Rosie, meanwhile, gulped nervously as he prepared himself for what came next. He stroked the rucksack and laid it against the door, slicked back his white hair with both hands, pushed back his shoulders, gave a little cough and pressed the door chime. A few seconds later, the door slid open and a woman's voice radiated from within.

"Have you got it?" she asked. Her voice was seductive, soft and low.

An excited smile flitted across Rosie's lips.

"Have I ever let you down?"

There was a short pause.

"You'd better come in then."

Rosie stepped over the rucksack and disappeared into the room. The door didn't close though, because the rucksack was blocking its path. Seeing our opportunity, I grabbed Luke by the arm and sped up to the door. A quick peek around the doorframe assured me that Rosie and the woman had stepped out of the room (they were on the balcony). I hauled Luke inside and shoved him behind a sofa where we both crouched. I think Luke tried to protest, but I ignored him and then, suddenly, Rosie re-emerged, ran over to the door, grabbed the bag and gently threw it onto the couch. The door closed and he secured it with a 'do not disturb'.

The woman, meanwhile, came back into the room. She settled herself on the sofa beside the bag.

"Show me the goodies then," she commanded happily.

Goodies? Not 'goods' but 'goodies'? That made me wonder.

"You know this stuff is contraband?"

"Of course I do. That's why I wanted you to get it rather than acquire some myself."

Rosie laughed, but it was a relaxed laugh, not strained or forced.

I was getting a bad feeling about this.

"Starfleet could have my rank if they found out."

"Then let's not tell anyone." Her voice echoed the smile on her face.

Rosie sighed.

"Come on then," she prompted. "I'll get the glasses," and she got up. We heard her rummaging around in a cupboard and the clink of glasses as she selected two before returning to the sofa.

"You know this is often an acquired taste," warned Rosie.

"Yes, darling, I know, but you promised me Romulan ale on our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary the very first night we met."

O-oh!

"Yes, and I have since learned not to make promises to you, my love, if I can't keep them."

They laughed in unison as the stopper came out of the bottle.

As they clinked their glasses together, I could feel Luke's eyes boring into me. I didn't dare to look at him, but a sharp jab in the shoulder made me. He was glaring at me with a strange mixture of anger and humour. I shrugged. He shook his head and mouthed the words, "you stupid donkey".

No comments:

Post a Comment